Wednesday, July 06, 2011

CC: Terra Bella

'
What does CC mean?


Subject: Terra Bella
Location: Anchorage, AK

Free WiFi ? : yes

Rating: 5+ [
see key]



Before making my trip to Anchorage, I had received little encouragement that I would find any good coffee in town. A friend of mine who lives in the area said she had given up on finding a decent coffeehouse. Those who had preceded me seemed to also offer little hope, saying that mediocre is all that I would find.

Yet hope prevailed. While I can’t say I found anything that one would set as an industry standard (as some would term, “third wave”), I did find a few places in town that came dangerously close.


The best spot in my opinion was an organic coffeehouse called Terra Bella. Having its prime location in South Anchorage and a drive-thru kiosk in Midtown, Terra Bella had received some acclaim from some locals as serving up good coffee and espresso. I made my way to the southern location one overcast afternoon to find a warmly arrayed coffeehouse with palate of orange and earthy colors surrounding a spacious venue with plenty of seats and lots of art.


Choosing from their many self-roasted coffees (might I jovially add they had not one over-roasted bean in sight; an AK rarity), I ordered an espresso and a drip of their Nicaragua Segovia. The espresso, pulled of a short/medium volume with a medium brown crema, sent notes of sugar, chocolate, lemon tonic and salt lick; a potently varied yet good espresso. The drip held flavors of spiced rum, a little wheat, rock candy, sassafras, cocoa and arugula (an odd, yet delicious combination with a smooth body). The tea is free leaf.


If I had to move to Anchorage, I would surely be back to Terra Bella for a regular cup of coffee. If you happen to be in town or passing through, give Terra Bella a whirl.

4 comments:

jb said...

I like your writing on this post. It makes me want to visit Terra Bella, not because of my love of third wave coffee shops, but because these "almost there" shops are plentiful in many areas - and worthy of business. I still prefer to roast my own, and prepare it with precision, but there is something about sitting in a coffee house with a ceramic mug of half-decent coffee that warms the soul.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the post! I shall surely take into consideration your advice and pay a visit to Terra Bella if I happen to pass by Anchorage.

el jingga said...

i like this article...good

Anonymous said...

Extremely good blog page, many thanks making th is actually fill out